This morning, Queen Elizabeth II announced that her 95-year-old husband has decided to step down. In the fall, Prince Philip will retire from royal duties.
Overnight, the hashtag #BuckinghamPalace became a trending topic.
Queen Elizabeth II called an emergency meeting of her staff. Senior aids from across the United Kingdom arrived to London. It's been literal “Palace Intrigue.”
The least likely announcement would be that the Queen is leaving her throne. She’s been keeping the seat warm for 65 years. However, the 91-year-old matriarch has vowed to serve until she draws her last breath.
Another insider said there’s no cause for alarm. So ahead of the official announcement, Twitter tossed around all sorts of wild rumors:
- Meghan Markle is late. Prince Harry is about to become a father out of wedlock.
- The Queen will finally reveal which of her four children is her favorite.
- Must be something about Harry Potter, or Doctor Who, or maybe Downton Abbey returning.
- Spring cleaning! Garage sale this Saturday.
- 68-year-old Prince Charles has been inspired by Caitlyn Jenner to transition.
- Finally, she’ll have a good laugh by taking to the Palace balcony and announce “May the Fourth be with you!”
Source: Daily Mail photo credit - getty images