Carrie Fisher, who died in December 2016, will appear in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode IX.
In its announcement, Walt Disney Studios says filmmakers will use previously unreleased footage the actress shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
In a statement, director J.J. Abrams said, “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher. Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."
On Sunday, Mark Hamill tweeted, "It's bittersweet facing my final chapter without her -- She is simply irreplaceable. I'm finding solace in the fact that she won't BE replaced & would love the worldwide outpouring of affection from those who loved her when they heard the news. #CarrieOnForever"
Carrie died December 27th, 2016 after filming her role in Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which hit theaters a year later.
Source: USA Today photo credit - Getty images