The Beatles took honors for having the top 2 best-selling vinyl records of 2017 as sales of records hit record highs.
According to Billboard, who got their data from Neilsen Music, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road were the top two vinyl records that sold the most copies between December 30, 2016 and December 28, 2017. Sgt. Pepper's sold approximately 72,000 copies and Abbey Road sold about 66,000 copies.
In total, there were 14.32 million vinyl records sold in 2017 as record sales showed year-to-year improvements for the 12th straight year. 13.1 million vinyl records were sold in 2016.
The top 10 best-selling vinyl records in 2017 with number sold in parentheses are as follows:
- The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (72,000)
- The Beatles - Abbey Road (66,000)
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 [Soundtrack] (62,000)
- Ed Sheeran - ÷ [Divide] (62,000)
- Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (58,000)
- Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain (58,000)
- Bob Marley and The Wailers - Legend: The Best Of... (56,000)
- Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (54,000)
- La La Land [Soundtrack] (49,000)
- Michael Jackson - Thriller (49,000)