photo credit - CCM&E archive
Jimmy Page's guitar lick in Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" has been voted by the listeners of BBC Radio 2 as the best guitar riff from a list of 100 compiled by a panel of Radio 2 and 6 DJs, critics and record producers.
Commenting on the honor, Page says, "I wanted a riff that really moved, that people would really get, and would bring a smile to their faces, but when I played it with the band, it really went into overdrive. There was this intent to have this riff and the movement of it, so it was menacing as well as quite sort of caressing."
Following Page is Slash and his handiwork on Guns N' Roses' "Sweet Child O' Mine" with AC/DC's "Back in Black" at number-three. The rest of the Top 10 is as follows:
1) Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love"
2) Guns 'N Roses - "Sweet Child of Mine"
3) AC/DC - "Back in Black"
4) Deep Purple - "Smoke on the Water"
5) Derek and the Dominos - "Layla"
6) The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?"
7) Status Quo - "Down Down"
8) Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing"
9) The Kinks - "You Really Got Me"
10) Pink Floyd - "Money"
Source: BBC Radio 2